Documentary Collection is a banking professional risk management tools for global trade. Using banks as intermediaries, it is a simple and safe way to receive or make payments with the added convenience of tracing payment and acceptance.
Documentary Collection is a short-term trade finance solution that meet our corporate clients’ global import and export needs in a timely, efficient and risk averse manner. Trade collections solutions provides reassurance when dealing with new trading partners and can enhance your credit profile with both buyers and suppliers.
Trade Collections service offers a straightforward, globally recognised method of settling payments for your imports and exports. Documentary Collection enables you to enter new trading partnerships and markets with confidence, offering added security whenever you import or export across world markets.
A Documentary Collection is the collection of a sum of money due from a buyer to a bank against delivery of certain documents. The bank, acting as trustee and intermediary between exporter and importer, presents documents – by order of the exporter – which are proof of the actual delivery of a product or services rendered, and in exchange receives payment of the amount owed or obtains acceptance of a bill of exchange.
How it works
By using export collection, you get more reassurance of payment and can use the banking system to maintain control over your goods. Please note, there is no recourse to the banks in the event of non-payment so the credit profile of your buyer still needs to be carefully assessed.
- When you ship goods, you send documentation, such as invoice and transport documents etc
- We forward the documents to the buyer’s bank
- The buyer only gets access to the documents after making payment or accepting to pay on a certain date
- We monitor the collection instructions and remind the buyer if payment is delayed.
Import collection is safer than paying for goods in advance since you make a payment only when you receive evidence of the shipment, protecting your business against non-delivery of goods. By using trusted banks as intermediaries, import collection can enable you to negotiate more favourable payment terms with your suppliers.
- When you order goods, the supplier delivers the goods and then sends the relevant documents to its bank
- The supplier’s bank then forwards the documents to the your settled bank and they inform you on their arrival
- As the buyer you will receive documents to take receipt of the goods when you have made payment.